Sunday, November 16, 2014

On-Station Adventures...

Since my last post was about some exploring we did off-station…I thought I would write and share about some adventuring that we’ve done on the station.

The station is about half a mile across, with the hospital at the center, 2 trails going down to the river, and one road headed out to the front gate which leads to the highway. For fun, and to get my out-of-breath-self back into shape, Teddy and I have been going for a run around/across the station a few times each week. Sometimes we run across the station, make a stop at the weight room, and then run back….and other times, we run along the canal for the hydro dam and loop back up to the station. There is also a tennis/basketball court near our house which we take advantage of sometimes…Teddy much more than me.   : )

Last weekend, we got to do something that we had REALLY been looking forward to….tubing on the canal! There are about 10 inner-tubes in the mailroom fully inflated at all times, ready to be taken out on the water. The canal is about a mile long and has water from the reservoir rushing through it in a race to the building that houses the turbines, which provide power for the station. Every time Teddy and I have walked or run along the canal, we have dreamed about the opportunity to fly through this cement-lined waterway on tubes. Last weekend, our chance had finally come. We invited two other docs from the hospital, Jaryl and Imelda, to join us. We carried our tubes all the way across the station, down to the canal, and all the way to the dam, where our journey would begin. It was a blast! The water was moving fairly quickly and we were all laughs and smiles along the way…except for the places where we had to lay down as flat as possible to fit under the walkway bridges. I was paranoid about getting ANY water in my mouth…it’s not exactly clean…so when I would catch myself laughing with my mouth open, I would quickly close it and hope that no parasite-infested droplets made their way into my body. We did the trip two times and all came away from the excursion unharmed and healthy. : ) We are looking forward to our next tubing adventure, which we hope will be out on the big river!

Teddy and I feel truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place while we are doing His work! What an amazing God we serve….who provides ALL our needs…even the opportunity for outdoor recreation!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Running Trail  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pikinini (children) playing on the trail

My attempt to keep up with Teddy...he tolerates my slow pace well!

Stop to take a breath...and a picture







~~~~~~~~~~~ Tubing Adventure on the Canal ~~~~~~~~~~~

Brave explorers about to set off...

                          
The resevoir...a popular swimming place for locals

The dam....also a popular place to sunbathe...
...even though it's not allowed...  : )



   
Preparing to embark

Teddy enjoying the ride
Mel and Jaryl 
Kiddos along the way enjoying the show!

We had lots of cheers!
Jaryl & Teddy catching some waves
Coming around the home-stretch...

Mel and me trying to stay still long enough to snap a pic!

Jaryl going under one of the many bridges
Weeee!!!

Canal selfie!


1 comment: