Saturday, February 21, 2015

Handcrafted

Since getting settled in here at Kudjip Station, I have expanded my leisure time hobbies (which initially was mostly yard beautification) to also include some time in the Field Maintenance workshop. Sometime in November, our neighbor, Adam Peterson (Missionary Jack of all Trades), had given us a beautifully crafted Adirondack porch chair, and challenged me to make a second just like it. Once the front path was completed, I decided it was time to take on Adam's challenge.

The shop is just down the road from our house, and whenever I could find the door open, or get a hold of Adam's keys, I starting putting in regular time exercising my interest in wood craftsmanship. In my first few trips to the shop, like a kid in a candy store, I enthusiastically experimented with all the power tools, as well as the table saw, drop saws, and air compressor nail gun. With the measurements of Adam's porch chair in hand, I cut the necessary boards from the same scrap flooring Adam had used (actually very nice dark wood), and spent time sanding these rough pieces smooth. Within a few trips to the shop I'd completed the chair, a perfect replica of Adam's work, and the two of them look very nice on the front porch.


Of course, having caught the workshop bug (a common virus shared among the men of Kudjip Station), I couldn't stop there. Sitting in the porch chairs, I had decided they needed a small matching coffee table, the design for which I sketched out on paper first.


Using the same wood, cut and sanded to the right dimensions, it appeared the pieces would fit together as easily as the chair. (Somewhere in all this my Lego-loving inner child was quite satisfied.) In addition, I gave the jigsaw a chance to prove itself and added a little embellishment to the front panel. It all turned out perfectly.


While spending so much time in the shop (this is prior to Christmas), Rachel casually mentioned how nice it would be to have a living room bookshelf. I gave this some thought and decided to model the shelf after one made by my grandfather (a master woodworker), which had cubbies crafted inside the shelves.


I decided to try and surprise Rachel with the bookshelf for Christmas, but it turned out that buying wood of the necessary width would be difficult on my own. As I'd done many times for other projects, I asked another friend on station, Jordan Thompson (project manager for the Hospital) for some help. In the end, the Hospital (thank you Dr Susan) approved and purchased the necessary wood for the project - after all, the shelf will be a permanent addition to the new Hospital housing!


Santa's workshop was in full swing the week prior to Christmas, and Praise God, I finished all the projects on time - though there was an official reminder sent out in the weekly newsletter of the workshop hours (uh oh - no more after hours work!). Christmas morning, Rachel took the bait and gave the appropriate ooh's and aaah's for the gift wrapped porch coffee table that I'd placed next to our Christmas tree - I had her convinced this was her BIG present. Then, after a splendid Christmas lunch at the Myers', we surprised her with a Birthday cake, the ever-so-long Kudjip Birthday song, and I brought out her REAL present, the bookshelf she had requested. Which she loves.


Other Shop presents I'd made for her are flower boxes to adorn the front porch, and a couple wooden frames for the handcrafted pictures Gideon made for us.




Heading into the new year, I challenged myself to increase the complexity of my furniture designs by crafting a little table to stand between our two living room chairs - where there was previously nothing to hold a cup or book.


I used the same scrap hardwood flooring as the porch furniture, but this time I varnished the final product, leaving it a little darker, and more importantly, resistant to water rings.


Another request from Rachel, my next project was constructing a pair of Cornhole boards. I modeled them after a set my younger brother, John, had made for me a few years ago, but using the hardwood scrap, these turned out to be a LOT heavier. Thanks goes to Gail Dooley for making a wonderful set of bean bags to go with the set. Anyone up for a game?! :-)



Most recently, having returned from Dusin with a wonderful collection of hand-crafted Papuan bow and arrows, I devised a couple wall-mounts (similar to the wall bracket used for billiard cues), to decoratively display the bow and arrows on our wall. And of course, the mounts are low enough that I have quick draw access for any front door defensive action! :-) 



I am thankful for the opportunity to be here on Kudjip Station. God has not only blessed my area of work with amazing medical and spiritual experiences, but even in my leisure time, I appreciate the hand of God moving to help me grow. 



Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance
from the Lord as a reward. 
It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
(Colossians 3:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment