Thursday, March 12, 2015

Changing Seasons

Dear Family and Friends,

Rachel and I have sailed beyond the halfway mark for our year in Papua New Guinea, and while every day I find my schedule full of new experiences and tasks, I have recently been dedicating part of my time and thoughts to what lies beyond our return to the States.

I recently registered to take the Pediatric Boards in October, which means I have also started taking my Boards studying seriously – no more occasional glances at the review books, but now I am earnestly plowing through the necessary material on a daily basis. Better to be ahead of the studying time curve, than behind it!

With scheduling the Boards, I have also been thinking about what kind of work I’ll be doing when we return to Virginia. Rachel already has her teaching job waiting for her, but what kind of Pediatric work do I want to do? And for how long? A pediatric emergency room or a local urgent care center seems appealing – shift work would provide more flexible scheduling, and I wouldn’t be bored handling emergency cases and doing some small procedures. Alternatively, I’ve also thought about joining a general Pediatric clinic and experience all that primary care has to offer – runny noses, vaccines, preventive counseling, maybe even some continuity of care? I’ve always enjoyed the idea of being there for a family while they raise children. Here’s the problem, continuity only counts if you’re planting your roots for a while, and while Rachel and I envision at least a year or two Stateside, we also know that God has missionary work in our future (still waiting to discern whether that'll be part-time or long-term.)

While thinking and praying about what work I’ll find in the next season, there’s a lot of other little things to do in the meantime – applying for my Virginia License and getting a DEA#, updating my resume, contacting all the likely practices, hospitals, and physician recruiters, then prayerfully following every lead the Lord provides…and that’s only for the work-side of things. We’ll also need to arrange our return flights, find a place to live when we get back, and sort out our financial things. It’s all a little overwhelming to think about, but God has so smoothly orchestrated every other transition in our lives, I’m happy to testify to an unshakable peace and a heart filled with joyful assurance. God is in control, He knows best, and we get to come along for the ride! 


One of God’s powerful truths that Rachel and I have learned over the years is the concept of living seasonally. We could never possibly hope to understand where or how God will place and use us in the next season of our lives, but we will joyfully serve now, in this season, where we have been planted. Our lives are not our own (flesh, time, money, work, thoughts, desires, future). They have been bought at an eternal price, and so we freely trade our will, for His will – whatever He needs of us. In this freedom, we have enjoyed boundless happiness and blessing, and no matter what the World throws at us, God promises the same eternal peace and joy for all of our future.

Matthew 6:33-34
But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, 
and all these things will be given to you as well. 
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, 
for tomorrow will worry about itself. 
Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Luke 12:32-34
Do not be afraid, little flock, 
for your Father has been pleased to give you the Kingdom. 
Sell your possessions and give to the poor. 
Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, 
a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, 
where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Romans 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, 
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 
through whom we have gained access by faith 
into this Grace in which we now stand. 
And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, 
because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. 
And hope does not disappoint us, 
because God has poured out His love into our hearts 
by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, 
to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, 
holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. 
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, 
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - 
His good, pleasing and perfect will.

Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, 
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, 
present your requests to God. And the peace of God, 
which transcends all understanding, will guard 
your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, 
whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. 
Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, 
or seen in me - put it into practice. 
And the God of peace will be with you.

And Others:
Matt 19:29-30Luke 9:23-24John 15:5-17,

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A FEW UPDATES:

Rachel has been sick for over three weeks with back-to-back 
illnesses. Being the rainy (and slightly colder) season now, we’ve seen a LOT more viral illnesses going around, and it seems they all like Rachel very much (hard to blame them!). She may be on the tail end of all this, but please pray for renewed strength and joy as well as physical healing. Have I mentioned she has become an AMAZING cook here in PNG?






We have new neighbors! Dr’s Ben and Katherine Radcliffe have returned to PNG for a two year assignment, and will be living in the house next door with their two boys, Simeon and Matthias. Katherine is a family practice doc, and Ben is a surgeon. Ben’s father, Dr. Jim Radcliffe, is Kudjip Hospital’s longest-standing physician, and is also a surgeon. We enjoyed having dinner with them the other night, and look forward to many more!

I’ve recently had some new and review patients
who I captured pictures with:

This is Kenneth (before and after TB Meds). He's a very nice CLTC student, who I diagnosed with TB shortly after starting work at Kudjip many moons ago – now happy, healthy, and about 40 pounds heavier (all muscle).



This is Bepi, who came to me with worsening abdominal pain. Her Skelbuk read that Dr. Jim had surgically removed a tumor from her abdomen a year prior, and pathology had been sent off to the States. I took her to the ultrasound room, and found her lower abdomen full of invasive cancer – the same ovarian cancer that had been excised last year – now unresectable (can’t be surgically removed), and therefore, terminal. Back in my room, my heart broke in sharing this news with Bepi – she had come alone, and her resigned expression spoke of a hard life, now harder. I wanted to give her hope, and as we talked about Jesus (she is a believer), I found tears in my eyes – the first time with a patient here. It’s not that Bepi’s case was any more terrible than many others I’d seen, but there’s something special about the Love of Jesus conquering the darkness of death – which she was showing me in her smile.


This is Papa Andrias, who I’m sure has entirely lost his marbles. He was previously a policeman, well respected in the community, visited America twice, and he tells me he is “wan hundren seventee yiars ol”! He came for a blood pressure check, but I couldn’t stop staring at his ear lobes, which were pulled up and over his ears. I asked to take a picture, and he insisted over and over that I share his picture with the “whooool wold en di intanet” – which I promised I would!


This is Eleisha (then and now pics), who was very sick and admitted for a long time on the Peds Ward over the holidays. He now looks great, and all the credit goes to God!



The garden and flower beds are coming along nicely, and we have started reaping the harvest – fresh flowers for the table, and plenty of salads. Now if we could just have a little less rain, and a little more sunshine! :-)






Oh, and I built a hammock for our back porch. I was a little uncertain the stitching would hold, but the foam mattress on top both spreads out the weight, and adds comfort. Quality time with Jesus doesn’t get any better!



1 comment:

  1. You guys have been on my mind all week! Just yesterday I was counting up the months that you had been gone on my fingers thinking that it must be close to the half way mark and the thoughts that were probably going through your head. Love reading your blogs but also love that y'all will be back before we know it! Hope Rachel is feeling back to normal soon! We'll continue praying for you both! Jill Harrison

    ReplyDelete