Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I Will Be Waiting



Hello All! I’m glad you are joining me today for some high-quality Ted&Rach updates, and I pray that through the following stories, God draws you closer.

As I’ve thought how to start this Post, a quick temperature check of “how I’m feeling” has revealed some level of urgency surging beneath the surface of all my thoughts. While I have been busy falling in love with Papua New Guinea, it seems that time is marching on, drawing us every day closer to leaving this missions sanctuary. I realize the extra energy and joy I’ve been experiencing may be in part reflecting my desire to pack in as much ministry, relationship, and adventure as possible before our early August departure. There is no anxiety hiding amid the urgency – I am in fact totally at peace, and quite happy to embrace the next season of our lives with the same high spirits. I’ve just got a looming feeling that part of me will be staying behind here, always calling me back. With this in mind, I’m grateful to trust and believe in God’s timing - He will call us out again…and I will be waiting.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Say hello to Aliapoula. She is an adorable 6 year old who is suffering from Potts Disease - where TB grows in the vertebrae, compressing the spinal cord, and causes paralysis of the legs. Her infection is about halfway up her spine, and you can see from the picture how her torso stability is compromised. She has not been able to move her legs for about 10 weeks, and her father brought her to Kudjip because he worried the TB medicine wasn't working (after 2 months of daily meds). During my exam, Aliapoula watched me with some reservation - as many kids here do, worried they will get an injection or something. I always provide a big safe smile, calm words, and slow/sure movements which usually helps relieve the PNG kids' anxiety. For this case, it wasn't until I was checking her Patellar (knee) reflexes that Aliapoula finally relaxed. Having not moved her legs for 2 months, each knee extended dramatically with the slightest percussion, so that it was quite comical to go back and forth. We were all rolling with tears and laughter within just a few seconds of this game, and decided a picture should be taken to capture the moment. In the end, only reassurance was provided, as it can take much longer for the TB medicine to relieve her spinal pressure. Would you join me in praying for her complete recovery? 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Just an average day in the weekly doctor's meeting...Needless to say, all our wonderful short-term volunteer docs have departed, so now we're down to just a handful. Please pray for the unity and strength of our Doctor Team.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bible study anyone? These awesome Kudjip-ites have been coming over every Sunday for some quality time in the Word. Please pray for the relationships we are building with our amazing brother and sister missionaries.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here in Papua New Guinea, our ability to test and diagnose for Genetic Syndromes is non-existent. Nonetheless, I recognize and attempt to diagnose each case as they come along - these three kiddos in just the last couple of months. Please pray for the resourcing of Kudjip Hospital, that all the needed equipment, supplies, and staffing would be supplied for taking care of all our precious patients. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Why have one banana, when God provides two?!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Another beautiful "bush church" service at Kulamp Nazarene Church. Pastor Melex Bossip, currently shepherding this flock, was a patient at the Kudjip clinic. He says that when he saw the bright pink cross on my clinic door, God prompted him to ask if I would come speak at his church. Rachel and I had an exciting "mud-bogging" adventure getting to this quaint little church, but we were both very impressed with the White Cruiser's effortless power. Rachel shared a lovely worship song, and I provided the message. Please pray for this very young church, still waiting for a full-time pastor. 




~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Famous rugby players touring the Peds Ward - yup, that goofy little guy in the middle is yours truly. :-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rachel leading worship for our CON (College of Nursing) group, for which we are acting "Big Brother/Sister". Please pray for our relationship with these and all the PNG nationals on Station - that in all we do, we might draw them closer to Christ. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 Our hiking buddies, the Zimmerman's, took us for a picnic lunch up to Mount Ep. Beautiful!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Kudjip family sharing a bonfire "hobo dinner" for our weekly Prayer Meeting. Leftovers heated up in tinfoil - yum!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 The all-too-common combination of lightning storms and locals caught in the open. Thank God, this little guy is looking good!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 
 This is Jenny Asong, a missionary teacher, who I have been treating for high blood pressure. Her visits are far apart, as she must fly in and out of the remote village where she is building a new school...by herself. That's right, this sweet older lady with one club foot and a heart filled with Jesus has hand-built a schoolhouse by herself out in the deep bush. Of course, she gets a bug bear hug and encouraging prayer time with me whenever she comes, but today was the last time I'll see her before we leave PNG. I think she must have known we would be saying goodbye since she brought me a beautiful hand-made bilum today. This one is even more special than others I've received, as she first handmade the yarn from pieces of finely rolled bark, before then weaving the bag in her traditional Telefomin pattern. Would you please join me in prayer for Jenny, as she serves God in an extremely remote village?

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Last one - here's our more recent Zimmerman hike, this time around the Northern Waghi ridge line. Check out the pictures of a well built bridge entirely wiped out by flooding. Thank God (and the locals) for a nicely crafted crossing log! :-) 

  




!!! God be PRAISED !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment